We just produced a powerful piece of high-end direct mail for BT Counterpane.
The piece was sent to 150 select prospects — CIOs and CSOs of Fortune 500 companies in the US.
They each get a little box with a sleeve around it. “The Security Shuffle, an executive playlist”.
They slip off the sleeve, open the clamshell box… and there’s a sleek silver iPod Shuffle.
Pop in the earbuds…
A complete playlist on the state of security and the power of managed security services, including:
• Bruce Schneier, uber-guru, on the state of security
• The CSO of BT USA on being a CSO… (fantastic track)
• Anatomy of an Attack — a minute-by-minute dramatisation of a real incident
• Fontella Bass singing ‘Rescue Me’
• Plus a few more case studies, interviews and two other classic security-related songs…
The idea behind the piece: earn the right to sell to these super-senior, super-busy people by giving them interesting, relevant and entertaining content presented in a way that’s impossible to ignore.
This is really a thought leadership piece. Only one track has overtly promotional content.
So far, the feedback has been excellent. We’ll report back on the overall result, but if we even open a single door to a Counterpane salesperson, the entire campaign is paid for several times over. I promise we’ll do better than that.
Now we’re turning this initial hit into a podcast series.
It took brave clients to go for this one. Hats off to Jean Foster, Jean-Marie Hitchin, Jenna Sinclair and Julie Woods-Moss at BT.