Okay, I don’t want to wish away the summer or anything but I do think you should start planning for the biggest event in the content marketing calendar: Content Marketing World, running from 9-11 September in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. (There’s a massive discount code coming… wait for it).
I know, I know: there are lots of events out there. But this one is the Daddy. The eye of the content marketing maelstrom. The crux of the inbound biscuit. The bulging belly of the B2B beast. The… (Jeez it’s hard to keep up this mega-metaphor thing).
Unless you’re already planning to be in Cleveland (for instance, if your name is Bachman, Turner or Overdrive and you’re being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame) this will entail a flight. So you’re going to need good reasons to go. Here are some:
1) Hobnob with the Heavy Hitters – folks like Ann Handley, Jay Baer, Robert Rose, Michael Brenner, Lee Odden, Joe Chernov, Ardath Albee, Carlos Hidalgo… These folks have major followings for a reason: they know their stuff and share it generously.
2) Actually learn some stuff you can use – with tracks on Multi-Channel, Content Strategy, Discovery, Integration and Social Media. Pretty much covers it.
3) Hang out with people just like you – we’re all pioneers in this crazy game. But no one understands us back at the office. Here, we can relax. No one will laugh. It’s okay to be you (up to a point).
4) Heckle me – I’ll be talking about ‘In Your Face Content Marketing’ on Tuesday the 10th at 11:30. (Think TED meets The Addams Family, on ice).
5) Be the first to tweet what Joe Pulizzi is wearing – hint: it will be orange.
6) Do one of the in-depth workshops – on Monday, the 9th. Choose from six topics and get yourself all revved up and ready to… conference.
7) Check out what the big brands are up to – with speakers from Coke, Cisco, Intel, LinkedIn, Volvo, Caterpillar, GE… (you know, people with budgets?).
8) Show off the cool mobile app – and be the envy of your admittedly easy to impress friends.
9) Save TWO HUNDRED BUCKS – just by using the discount code VELOCITY when you book your place. (Disclaimer: I think we get a kickback — I mean affiliate fee – when you do this, but, to be honest, I’m not sure and it wouldn’t effect my recommendation to you in any case because I have INTEGRITY which, if you’re suspecting me of manipulating our readers to buy tickets just for our own gain – and you were suggesting that weren’t you? – is more than I can say for you and your dirty, seedy insinuations. How very dare you?).
No but really: conferences can disappoint. I really don’t think this one will. I know that 2-3 days away from the office is a high-ticket ask. But content marketing is your job, right? And you can’t exactly invent the whole discipline yourself can you? Get your back up off the wall.
So, see you in Cleveland.