Clients don’t usually want us to share the numbers behind their campaigns.
So we thought we’d do a case study on ourselves. And, to make things interesting,we did it live.
Project Open Kimono was a living case study of our own B2B Marketing Manifesto.
campaign. We declared our goals on the first Kimono post, then – in a series of 13 blog posts – tracked our progress and reported on our experiments, experiences and lessons learned along the way.
A quick overview
We produced the B2B marketing Manifesto as an experiment in psychographic targeting. The idea is simple: we recognised that we do our best work with clients who share a few characteristics: they’re confident, ambitious and up for new things.
So we created a piece that targeted this type of marketer: The B2B Marketing Manifesto
– a bit of an unseemly rant about B2B and a call to action.
We promoted the eBook using social media – our blog, Twitter, LinkedIn groups –
and in our email newsletter. Plus a few PPC and SEO experiments.
The results were…pretty extraordinary.
What we learned
We summarised the big themes in this Slideshare – and slides 15 and 16
show the real numbers:
We announced our goals in the first post of Project Open Kimono and reported on the
performance after 6 months in Kimono post 13.
But here’s the summary after the first six months (the numbers have all climbed since then):
New names for database
Downloads of other content
Search term visitors
Views from social media
Concrete business meetings
Actual: 10 and 5 new projects
The entire exercise has been hugely rewarding, enlightening and just plain fun. We put our money where our mouths used to be. We set out our targets, metrics and performance for all to see. And we’re really glad we did.
Best of all: campaigns for our clients have benefited from the things we learned in this
project, with measurable results.
All of the Project Open Kimono Posts
You can follow the story here, or dive into any bit that sounds interesting: